Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I called Rep Sandy Levin's office to oppose his position on the Trans Pacific Partnership













Congressman Sandy Levin (D-MI) is the ranking member of the House Ways and Means Committee and he's also the HouseDemocrats' most senior trade committee member. Well it looks like Levin may be about to support the horrible, Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal. This trade deal is a massive corporate godsend that exempts large transnational corporate entities from all kinds of domestic rules, regulations, environmental protections, labor laws, etc. 


It's bad enough that the Republicans are trying to fast track this, but now Levin, a Democrat, is getting on board as well.

I called Representative Levin's office and told an aide that I was opposed to the Congressman's position on TPP. This deal is not good for Americans and he should oppose it.

Here is Levin's district phone number. Call him and tell him you are against TPP and he should not support it!

Call Rep. Levin's District Office: (586) 498-7122

Here's a sample script I got from the Firedoglake website:

Hello, my name is __{name}__ and I'm calling today to ask that Rep. Levin oppose granting the president Fast-Track trade authority ahead of the final negotiations for the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
As the ranking member on the Ways and Means committee, Rep. Levin has significant influence over his fellow Democrats on matters of trade. In the past he's used his influence to help push through disastrous trade agreements. If Rep. Levin doesn't want his legacy to be one of selling out American workers he'll oppose Fast Track trade authority for the TPP.
Can I count on Rep. Levin to oppose Fast Track?
Call now!

5 comments:

The Rombach Report said...

Mike - Good to draw attention to TPP. For my take on this issue, see Youtube segment below from 3 weeks ago and forward to closing comments starting at 27:30 into the segment. http://bit.ly/1c6HMjL

Detroit Dan said...

Thanks Mike. I called and delivered the message...

Detroit Dan said...

Actually, they suggested I call Levin's Washington office -- 202-225-4961. I called there and delivered the message, and was told that Levin does not support fast tracking the legislation...

Detroit Dan said...

Actually, they suggested I call Levin's Washington office -- 202-225-4961. I called there and delivered the message, and was told that Levin does not support fast tracking the legislation...

mike norman said...

Dan,

Maybe the calls are starting to have an effect. Thanks.